Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The BFG, by Roald Dahl, 4.5 stars

   Right now in school I am re-reading for the sixth or seventh time (I lost count), The BFG. You can kind of see if a person likes a book if they've read it six or seven times. And I liked this book. It's a little gross, if you think about it, but all around it's fantastic.
   Sophie, an orphan, peeking out her window at night in what she thinks must be the witching hour, is startled to see something tall. Something tall and black. Something very tall and very black. And it is heading down her street! It turns out this very big and very black thing is a giant. If she had been carried away in the middle of the night by any of the other giants, it would mean certain death. But lucky for Sophie, she is carried off by the BFG. As the BFG tells Sophie the secrets of giant country, she is determined that not many more people will be eaten by the other nine gruesome giants. Off to London to visit the Queen, and to see what she can do about this mess!
   There is nothing really more to say about this book without giving too much away, but I can say that I liked it! This is one of those books you MUST read. :-)

10 comments:

  1. You've convinced me; I'm reading this book the next chance I get...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I've helped someone! Thank you, BellatrixLestrange for telling me. Tell me what you think of it after you have read it!

      Delete
  2. Interesting! I've not read this, but it sounds pretty intriguing! It is always nice when giants are gentle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You MUST read it! It is always nice when giants are nice. :-)

      Delete
  3. I love the BFG! It was one of my favorite books when I was younger. I also really liked Matilda a lot. Reading your first blog entries makes me realize how much I love reading (and that I don't do it enough these days)!

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matilda is a really good book too. Hmmmm... maybe I should post about Matilda next!

      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. your review has made me want to read this book. right now I am re-reading the Hunger Games, but I will put the BFG on my list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome! I'm glad I could help someone else! :-)

      Delete
  5. It's a great book. I really enjoy it. Have you ever read George's Marvelous Medicine, also by Roald Dahl? I have a set of all the RD books. I'm reading through the Harry Potter books again for the 7th time. This time I'm writing down each character and when they first appear (name, book, page number)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've read almost all of Roald Dahl's books; most of which I think are great books. WOW! 7th time! That's cool what you're doing; the 'writing down each character and when they first appear' thingy.

      Delete