Sunday, April 8, 2012

Anne of Green Gables, 4.4 stars

   A couple (meaning two, maybe three) weeks ago, I started reading the Anne of Green Gables series by Lucy Maud Montgomery. Because it's a series, I'll start with the first one:
   Anne (spelled with an "E") Shirley accidentally arrives at Green Gables as a lonely orphan with a huge imagination. Encountering many mishaps along  the way, Anne works hard to earn the respect of the people of Avonlea. Quarreling with Gilbert Blythe, one of the few who dares to call her carrot head, is only one of the many obstacles Anne faces in this interesting tale.
   Part of the reason I enjoyed this book so much is because I like reading about girls who are just like she is: imaginative, (always) getting into scrapes, and just... it's hard to explain. But I think you'll understand if you read this book! 

7 comments:

  1. Sounds good! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the rest of the series. AND...can't wait to (hopefully) go to Prince Edward Island next summer to see Green Gables itself! Here's a preview: http://www.gov.pe.ca/greengables/

    ReplyDelete
  2. One summer my family took a camping trip to PEI and Nova Scotia. The whole Anne series came alive after that visit. I want to take my children some day, just because I want to go back. A truly beautiful island!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suddenly want to find all of the "Anne" books to re-read them. I probably can't get Jackson (about the same age as Elliot) to read them with me so I will have to do it on my own. I can't wait to hear about your trip to Prince Edward Island. Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eden - the Anne of Green Gables series were my favorite books EVER!!!!!!!! I bet Mina would like them by now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all your comments! I guess the Anne of Green Gables series is a hit. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eden, like you, I love the Anne of Green Gables books. Have you been to PEI to see the touristy sites they have created based on the books? They're ok but kind of have the same effect as when one sees a movie after reading the book. Somehow it doesn't quite match the pictures created in one's mind while reading and I always think that is a bit disappointing. Keep up your writing! You do it incredibly well!

    Rhoda Snader (your mom's cousin)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting that seeing the house would be like a movie, but I kind of understand. Thank you!

      Delete